We will set as the official beginning of the grant April 1st, 2018, which was a Sunday.
Let’s list the contributions made during the month of April.
Using the Perl 6 scripts included in this repo, I have closed more than 60 issues during April:
The initial compromise was to address two issues every day; I have
been checking and commenting on issues far more than that, tagging
JJ TPF grant. In fact, as it can be seen, I closed two
issues per day, twice as much as the rest of the issues that were
In fact, those issues are, on average, 4 months old, or almost 120 days, while the average for the rest of the contributors is ~1 month. That means that many of the issues addressed were part of the backlog that was accumulation, and weren’t, in fact, being addressed, making the number of issues accumulate to the tune of a few tens every month.
In fact, this has allowed to buck the trend that pushed the number of unsolved issues upward
The number of unsolved issues has remained more or less constant in April 2018 and around 260, despite the fact that most issues solved were old ones.
Last month I contributed almost as many commits as the rest of the authors together, and in fact April 2018 was the second month with the highest number of commits in history.
Not all commits are the same, and some of them were more notable than others, but all of them equally valuable to make the Perl 6 documentation a great resource.
Sometimes working on a issue took me in many unexpected directions, and some amount of work had to be done in some other places. Contributions I’d like to note are
Configuring Shippable to run fast tests, which now take 3 minutes in average. It is not running the whole test suite, but at least shows early sign of trouble for pull requests and so on.
Configuring Travis with two different binaries, which now take 10 minutes only for the Docker version to run the whole test suite. An intermittent error with that test suit has been (mostly) fixed too.
which was used by the Perl 6 Docs to generate a single page, has
been extensively refactored to avoid errors and generate HTML instead
of XHTML. More than 40 commits have been made to that repository,
mostly during this period. There is still some work to be done.
Contributions to StackOverflow, and encouragement of everyone (to the point of being annoying at times) to contribute their questions and answers there too. StackOverflow has seen the highest number of questions ever in April.
I would say I have reached most of the objectives I set out to do during this month. It has been a great experience, and I will try to continue in the same line of work during this month of May, although I will try to focus on more complicated issues, and also the oldest ones.